Thursday, October 18, 2012

Gear review

I'm pretty sure I didn't do this before.  But I was thinking about all the things that I need for this baby and the fact that it probably surprises people that I need more stuff since I already had one.  So let me explain what I've tried and what I'd like to try.

Pack n Play:  Teddy hated the bassinet attachment.  Perhaps it was because it's an older model.  Then he hated being isolated in it.  It was a huge dumping ground until recently when we turned it on the side and draped a blanket over it and he uses it as a fort.  I do plan to replace that with a small tent for him and try it again for baby #2.  Especially if we are in this house still, it can stay upstairs and baby can lay in it while I cook.  Other option would be a regular bassinet because it's smaller and has wheels.

Swing:  DS loved his and slept in it for months.  He'd start the night in it and eventually come in our bed.  The downside is that ours didn't plug in and we went through batteries a lot.  And there were only two different song options which got old fast.  I sold it to Once Upon a Child after Teddy outgrew it because we didn't have space for it in the condo and I got it for free (hand me down).  This time I'm interested in one that will plug in and maybe a smaller one.  Though it was difficult sometimes getting him in it, especially at the beginning with bending and the c-section.  He was sensitive to the altitude change, so a smaller one will be even lower to the ground.

Bouncy seat:  Ours also vibrated.  DS loved it and after it dawned on me to take it into the bathroom I was finally able to shower without someone else watching him.  It was nice once he was interested in the world more.  Once he learned to sit on his own though it was unnecessary.  I would not pay full price for one though, even if you plan for it to last for several children.  I liked it and want another one (gave mine to a friend and I know I'm not getting it back) but it's not worth $35+.  You can do without it if you can't find one used or on sale.

Moby:  I discovered this when DS was 4 months old (pretty sure on that).  He then lived in it for months in order to sleep.  It was also nice because I could go shopping during his nap time and he'd fall asleep to me walking around, I had my hands free to eat lunch etc.  I used it instead of a stroller until DS was 5 months old and I never had an infant car seat (went straight to convertible).  The length of fabric can be intimidating at first but it can fit anybody.  Even Doug was able to use it, though he was always concerned of putting it on.  But it made for some nice bonding time for him and Teddy when traditional carriers would not fit him.  I loaned it to the same friend as the bouncy seat so while at the time that $40 was the best money I ever spent, it's totally overpriced.  I plan on making my own this time from 5-6 yards of stretchy fabric.  There are tutorials online.  Also, the book it comes with only has a few holds  but there are others you can find online, I wish I had known about that earlier.  I never breastfed in it and I wish I had learned.  I plan to try that with #2.  Another reason not to spend the $40, as they get older and bigger stretchy fabric is not the best, because you need such a tight hold.  Many women then prefer woven fabrics or more structured carriers. 

Ergo:  I have the sport and I really like it.  I got it when DS was 7 months old and used it a fair bit that first summer and still use it.  There are times when he's really clingy after his nap and so I'll put him in it on my back and I can make us a snack or even do some light cooking.  He's too heavy for me to really go on walks with him in it, but I can wear him in it for an all day event and he can run around when he wants to and ride in it (and even sleep in it sometimes) when he needs to.

Nursing cover:  I had a cheap one from Target.  It was itchy and shaped oddly, did not feel like it covered well.  After a few months Teddy would not tolerate it anyway.  For a while just a thin blanket worked but then nothing.  I should have tried harder to nurse in public but I couldn't see what I was doing with either of those options and pretty much flashed people otherwise.  I decided that was ok in the church nursery with other mothers that were nursing but at the EMU track, not so much.  I would go to the car a lot.  That's not going to be an option with #2.

Fisher Price space saver high chair:  I really like it.  Apparently it converts to a booster which I totally forgot about before I bought a booster seat though.  But it takes up sooo much less space than a traditional high chair, though you do sacrifice a dining chair.  The recline option isn't really needed though, but it does fit a younger baby better than a booster does.  I wouldn't put a 6 month old in an actual booster.  Teddy wasn't ready for a booster until a few months ago, so I think it has great life.

Stroller:  I have a cheapo umbrella stroller.  Well, actually as far as umbrella strollers go it was more expensive.  It has a sun shade, a tray for child, a basket and a detachable storage/drink spot for parent.  It's super light weight.  Teddy is now getting too big for it.  He can put his feet down on the wheels and stop it, drives me nuts!  It doesn't manuever as well with a bigger child either.  It's seen a lot of wear in the last 19 months and I definitely got $35 worth out of it!

I also have a used double stroller that I found on Craigslist.  I can use it for Teddy and R, who I babysit.  Even though it's old and doesn't have a lot of functions nicer and newer ones have (like snack trays) it has a big basket and manuevers well still.  I took them to the indoor track the other day and made better time even though I was pushing two of them and had to stop a few times to entertain them, than I do with just Teddy in the umbrella.

If a stroller is something you're going to use a lot then think of it as a real investment.  When I bought the umbrella stroller I didn't walk very much.  We lived in a condo and I just didn't go outside very often.  I would put him in the cart at a store or in the moby for a mall that didn't have one, which was seldom because I'm just that classy.  I think almost everyone needs the lightweightness of an umbrella stroller eventually but a more heavy duty option is pretty much a must for most people's lifestyles as well.

Changing table:  Ok, I know most people say it's pointless but we didn't have a low dresser.  We had a free chest of drawers.  Our beds and couches are all lower so I'd be bending some and Doug would be bending a lot to change diapers.  Teddy is insane when we try to change him on the floor or a bed etc.  And I like the storage it offers.  I think I will be able to use it for years to come.  And I've seen the exact same one I've got be used to hold dishes on Disney channel's Good Luck Charlie, so I can always use it for that later too, haha!

Gas drops:  for the baby!  Teddy was gassy and needed drops before and after eating for weeks...maybe a month or two, I can't remember.  But the first night or two until we figured that out was especially rough.  I don't know why they don't sell them in a bigger bottle though!  But I guess liquid gold is tough to find....

What I want to try:  I tried to do things as cheap as possible.  There are a few things that I'd like to try this time because I think they will be worth my sanity.


Rock N Play:  I have heard awesome stuff about this.  It will fit in our room much better than the PNP or a co-sleeper will.  I know this baby will sleep with us some, but I'd like to encourage some independent sleep too.  My small goal is one nap a day and to start out the night in it.  I was thisclose to buying one for Teddy but by that point was worried he'd reach the weight limit too fast to make it worth it.  I should have anyway because it's gone up about $15 since then.

Ring sling:  I had a cheap pouch sling that DS never fit in/worked with me.  We were both too big.  But a ring sling is adjustable and supposedly great for breastfeeding with free hands.  I don't think I'd want to carry baby around in it for a long period of time just because the weight is not distributed as well as a moby or ergo (or other ergonomic carrier) but a lightweight newborn or for quick breast feeding at the park, sounds like a win.

Udder covers:  I want to try this https://www.uddercovers.com/cart or something like it for this one.  I might make my own.  I like that it pops up and I can see, it is very long and is not as hot (around the shoulders/neck) as other covers.  I've seen a girl use this at church and even an old ordered mennonite use it at the park- and you know she wouldn't be flashing anything.  $35 seems like a lot (why is that the price for so many baby things anyway?!) but it might really be worth having that freedom and peace of mind.  People might stare but at least it won't be because I have to flash them to latch my child.

Infant car seat:  We went straight to a convertible with Teddy due to a long story.  For the most part it was entirely fine.  Turns out he didn't like sleeping in the car anyway and I could easily just wrap him up in the moby when going some place.  Even though he was born in November, I just wrapped him up in a blanket and went from warm building to preheated car (oh how I miss autostart on my car!) so I didn't miss the bunting option.  But I might want one for #2.  I'm still on the fence about it.  I wouldn't put the baby in it for everything.  For example, I am fine carrying the baby from the car to the church.  No one there even keeps baby in it during service.  It would be better for us to have smaller bouncy seats than big clunky car seats.  I don't think it's any easier to carry out baby in a car seat and a diaper bag than it is to just carry baby.  That's no judgement on the girls who do that, just that I did it just fine without it so I wouldn't use it this time for that reason.  But in case it falls asleep on the way to an errand it would be nice to at least have a better chance of not waking it up by getting it out of the car seat. 

Travel system:  I'm debating between a double stroller or a single travel system.  But either way, a more heavy duty stroller for sure and one that an infant car seat attaches to if I go that route.

A better diaper bag:  The boy I babysit's mother has a Skip Hop:  http://www.skiphop.com/category/diaperbagsaccessories.html and I am finding it perfect, especially for a breastfeeder that wouldn't need to bring a bunch of bottles.  Not that my diaper bag was good for that either.  I will happily pay $35-90 for something that will be truly functional and last another child or two!  I still use one for Teddy for church.  For errands I usually bring it in the car but just stuff a diaper, wipes and baggie in my purse.  I have friends with 3 year olds that still use them so yeah, $90 for 6 years of use (3 for this kid, 3 for another) is a steal.

Real nursing bras and more attire:  I used some sleep nursing bras far too much.  I saw a pic of me and Teddy that a friend took and the girls were waaaay too lose, and they were bigger then too.  I bought one underwire nursing bra and it was the only one I used, by that point I used a lot of regular bras too.  He was probably 8 months old.  Yeah, the girls were saggy and loose in public for 8 months and I never even thought about it.  That's going to change.  

Oh, and for the hospital I plan on packing some clothes.  I didn't care about it at the time but looking back, it was kind of embarrassing to be in the hospital gown still and I wasn't wearing a bra (didn't remotely cross my mind) but it was probably noticable to visitors.  I wouldn't buy fancy gowns but I will bring actual clothes.  And I will take that first shower much earlier.  I was worried that it would sting the incision but it was fine.

I think that's everything....

4 comments:

  1. If you are welling to pay for it a mamaroo is worth every penny. http://www.4moms.com/mamaroo
    My mom wanted to buy me one for Miley but I said no and not until a few weeks ago when visiting a friend did I realize how amazing it was. Small for space saving and plugs in! SOOO amazing!! I am getting one if I ever have a baby #3.

    Most diaper bags will not last even 3 years I know Cassie and I both have gone through quite at few in 3 years. I have battled to find one I really liked and functioned well for me. I have been through 6 I think. Only one of them is worn out...actually that was the one I paid $60 for :/ ugh!
    Spend $90 on a diaper bag that works for you is totally worth it but I don't know a single person who has used theirs for more than 2 years...your needs just change so the choice in diaper bag usually changes.
    I own 2 skip hop diaper bags and they hold up pretty well.
    Always giving my 2 cents ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow about that MamaRoo! It looks amazing and if you get one of the basic colors it's not that much more than a new full size swing. Well, I'll put it on the dream list but I doubt I could ever convince Doug on that.

    Well the cheap diaper bag my mom got at a yard sale has physically held up fine, it just did not have any organization to it whatsoever. But for months now I haven't actually needed to use a diaper bag on regular errands. At most I'll just toss in a diaper, wipes and a baggie and bring a snack in my purse. Other times I'll use a shoulder bag that I already had but it wouldn't work for an infant. Now I'm using a 31 bag for church and I think it's working pretty well.

    But I just hate shopping. So I usually just make do with what I have. I didn't even bother looking for a nice diaper bag with Teddy, I was clueless about what I needed- I have a much better idea this time. And I also thought people were just spending money on them for a designer name or pretty pattern.

    Oh, and the skip hop one that I like (well there's two that I'm torn between but they cost the same) are $54 but I would pay $90 for something that worked good and could last awhile, especially if it will work at the beginning, which mine did not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. uddercovers has very often their cover free, so you just pay for shipping. It is totally worth it. I think 7 dollars, so that is probably even cheaper than buying cute fabric. I loved mine!

    Instead of a specific changing table, you could always look for a dresser that you could put a cushion on, then later you have a nicer piece of furniture. I was planning to do that until someone gave us one. But the one I have could probably stil be used as nice storage later.

    I am positive you can find a nice bouncer 2nd hand! I know here you can find good ones fo rlike 15 dollars...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me again. I used a backpack thing for a diaper bag and that was great when trying to juggle the keys and baby or whatever.

    Also, I agree about getting better bras. I was kind of clueless about the options out there. I found advertising around 3 months for a Bravada on sale, so I tried it and was so pleased! Around 6 months of nursing I discovered they have nursing bras that were basically the exact same as what I wore before. I wish I would've invested in a few in the beginning, but I was kind of clueless, plus every woman is different, so I had issues others didn't.

    I brought a few of my favorite, maternity t-shirts for the hospital. I am so glad I did, because one of my favorite family photos is of me in the bright pink shirt with the baby. I probably would not have liked the photo so much if I were in the gown. Plus they were comfortable to sleep in. I thought the gown was kind of goofy. I know some people want to wear their own clothes for delivery, but I was happy to use theirs and let them do the laundry!

    ReplyDelete