Thursday, January 31, 2013

Assorted update

I've been having a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions lately.  I never felt them with Teddy but I've been having them a few times a day with Little Miss and mostly in my back.  Not exactly painful but uncomfortable.  Drinking loads of water definitely helps so I've been practically drowning myself in it.  Except now I'm starting to get heartburn from water.

I've been kidney infection symptom free for several weeks now and my last two cultures have come back fine.  I had some sort of awful bronchitis plague last week.  It started with a scratchy throat on Sunday evening and just enough to feel "off."  It kept me up all night.  It got a little worse on Monday but was bearable.  Monday night I started coughing and on Tuesday morning it had settled in my chest.  Luckily I already had a regular physical scheduled.  By then I had some aches and pains, which I was sure was just due to sleeping poorly for the last few nights but asked for a flu test anyway.  I've been incredibly stupid and haven't gotten a flu shot yet, I've let petty things get in the way.  But I knew if it was the flu and I wanted to take Tamiflu or something getting diagnosed within the first 48 hours was important.  Thankfully, it came back negative.  But I did have a lot of chest congestion and he went ahead and prescribed me a z-pack.  I honestly didn't feel too terrible then but desperately wanted sleep.  Doug's boss was out of town and he worked 7 days straight last week.  Monday-Wednesday were all morning shifts and Teddy had been waking up at 5-6 am.  I decided to send Teddy to a babyistter for the morning so I could rest.  It was the first time I've ever done that.  She was the same lady I used when I was sending him for in home care while I worked, but it's different as a stay at home mom and paying for babysitter.  I usually just take him with me places or arrange them for Doug's day off or at most get mom to watch him.  I think getting to rest just made me feel worse!  I just kept feeling worse all Wednesday.  Coughing to exponentially worse, a lot of wheezing and pain with breathing and so exhausted I felt like I had been hit by a truck.  It just didn't seem like what should be happening almost 48 hours after being on antibiotics.  So I went back in on Thursday.  He changed my antibiotic and by Friday evening I was feeling a good bit better.  Still very exhausted but getting bearable as Doug worked over the weekend.  Sunday night Teddy started coughing some and had a fever off and on.  We took him to the doctor on Tuesday and he didn't hear any chest congestion but we have a prescription if we need it.  Poor little guy!  He's so tired and pitiful sounding! 

I met with my old midwife from Teddy the other day.  I loved her but had to be transferred to OB care when I ended up with Gestational Diabetes.  She doesn't want me to transfer care yet, to keep testing until 28 weeks and if all is well then I will transfer to her.  I've tried to put on a good face about facing another c-section regardless of the need but it bothers me.  And my research shows that a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) is safer than a repeat c-section.  With Teddy I thought the OBs weren't very personal and were ignoring my concerns and that maybe it was just that practice and because I transferred to in so late and then the complications.  So I switched to a different practice but I feel the same with them.  I don't hate doctors.  I love my general physician.  I'm not super homeopathic or anything, I will take antibiotics readily, less because it's so necessary to get over things and more because I can't be sick in bed for a week.  But it's something about pregnancy and birth.  My body is made for this.  If I am classified as low risk now, then I really want a VBAC and natural birth.  And this sounds so crazy to just about everyone but the midwife, but I feel like this is what Little Miss wants.  She seems much more relaxed than Teddy's utero persona was.  When I close my eyes and think about meeting her for the first time I see myself in a tub and pulling her out of water.  I just feel like she is wanting a water birth.  I will do it at the birth center because it's closer to the hospital and I am a bit higher risk for transfer given the C-section versus home as I planned last time.  And I don't know yet where we will be living or how far that would be from the hospital or how well it could accommodate a giant birthing tub and birthing people.  So hopeful that everything will work out!

No comments:

Post a Comment