Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Urologist

I've been so bad about blogging about this pregnancy.  Basically, everything's great and I hardly notice I'm pregnant at all.  I'm starting to get really excited about the anatomy scan on January 15.  I still think I would have been fine not finding out, but Doug really wanted to know and now that it's scheduled I'm really anxious for it. 

But I'm still struggling with this kidney infection.  I tested positive again after my first round of antibiotics (after I was finally diagnosed) and they put me on Macrobid.  For a few days my kidney pain went away, then it came back with a vengeance on Christmas.  I called the OB and they got me in the same day to see a nurse practitioner.  I actually was afraid they were going to order IV treatment since I wasn't responding to the oral meds.  My urinalysis looked good so she said that there was nothing wrong and this was normal pain and I was exaggerating where it was at and how bad it hurt.  That I didn't have a UTI and I certainly didn't have a kidney infection and never did because I was never hospitalized.  I wanted to get up and walk out right then.  I demanded that she culture it anyway and asked for a referral to a urologist, which she wouldn't give.  She did order another kidney ultrasound, which is scheduled for January 3.  I am not sure if it's going to find anything, because it didn't before. 

I called my insurance and was able to make my own appointment with a urologist.  They were so nice and got me in fast, January 8th.  I'm a little nervous.  When I was sick with this a few years ago the office didn't send anything and the urologist looked at me and said that I probably never had a positive culture, just bad catches because I was fat.  I'm definitely not seeing that guy again but for example, this time I'm getting very clean catches that are still testing positive on cultures so I know that can't be the answer.  I'm not so sure what they can do for me since I'm pregnant but the point is that I'm not presenting according to the usual model that the OBs are used to dealing with and have no pregnancy problems so they're kind of in over their heads.  But everything I read, and my pcp agrees, says that a kidney infection, especially a chronic one caused by Group B Strep is a big deal.  I just want to be taken seriously by somebody. 

And then yesterday I got told that I did culture positive.  BIG FAT TOLD YOU SO, NP!!  They put me back on Amoxicillin and only for 10 days and I asked why since it didn't work the first time and they tried something in between.  The nurse just said that it's because I'm pregnant.  Ok, so should I not have been on the Macrobid?  I went home and did some research on GBS UTIs and it turns out that it's really only sensitive to Pennicilin and Macrobid isn't one.  Macrobid is great for other UTIs though, so they probably shouldn't have put me on it at all.  I'm already on a low dose of Macrobid until delivery to keep it from coming back but at this point it's not going away and it's a whole different issue to deal with then.

I'm so thankful for insurance right now but I'm sure they're not very thankful for me!  Hopefully I will get some answers on either the 3rd or the 8th.

No comments:

Post a Comment