Friday, November 26, 2010

Birth Story!

My c-section was scheduled for last Thursday at 39 weeks due to Gestaional Diabetes and Pregnancy Induced Hypertension. We were slightly delayed as the one before us had some complications. I didn't think I was nervous or anxious at all, but as the time went on I began to have some mild nervous shakes. It's like mentally I wasn't worried, but I guess my body had to express it somehow! Just before going in the anesthesiologist came in to try to find a spot on my back for the spinal block and mentioned that even my back was really swollen. He said it could be really difficult to find a good spot and that if he couldn't then they'd have to use anesthesia and Doug would have to wait outside. Fortunately he was able to get it in without a problem. It started working right away. I had some mild nauseau and they put something in the IV for that, but no vomiting. Since I'm short there was also the possibility of it climbing high in my chest and giving me the sensation that I wasn't able to breathe, but I didn't have that problem either. It did feel like forever before Doug was allowed in. Literally just before they were ready to cut me open.


They had the blue tent up and no mirror so I wasn't able to see a thing. Just focusing on breathing and holding Doug's hands helped control the shaking and nausea so we didn't do much talking. I knew he was so nervous too! At my growth scan the Monday before they said my fluid wasn't very high, just "generous" but it must have been more than they were expecting! When they broke it they said it just kept coming and coming. Then Teddy was really high up! No where near my pelvic bone. Even though it looked like I was dropping, my fluid was blocking him from dropping. I actually have a vertical incision in the skin, which is near my belly button, and a horizontal incision in my uterus. We're all still surprised at how small the incision is compared to Teddy's size!

At 2:52 out came Theodore Robert, weighing 8 pounds and 6.5 ounces and measuring 21 inches long! The scan on Monday said 8 pounds 11 ounces, so it was really quite accurate. At the nursery he measured at 20.5 inches long, but it's pretty hard to stretch out a newborn. Teddy's head measured at 14.25 inches and his chest at 13.25 inches. The "normal" range for those measurements are 14.5 inches and 14 inches. So again, probably a good call on the c-section. Also, they said that he was the second highest baby they've ever seen and really, really doubted that he would have engaged before or during labor. So it seems that I may have ended up laboring really long and hard and still with needing a c-section. When we heard him cry Doug and I both burst into tears. I really didn't know if that's how I would feel since I originally envisioned such a different birth (home water birth). After weeks of worry, it was just so amazing to hear him and know that he was here for real!

The actual surgery itself was cake. Spinal block went in very easily, just a little sting and then instant numbness. Since it was surgery, numbness was welcome. I just felt some tugging when they were doing everything. It did seem like forever between when Doug and Teddy left for the nursery and when they were finished with me, but really it was only 20 minutes or so. It was about 15 to get him out. After they suctioned him, he let out some good wails and scored 9 on his Apgar both times. DH went to cut his cord (again). My awesome L&D nurse brought him to me so I could touch him and kiss him and just stare at him for a few minutes before he went off to the nursery. When I came out I saw some friends and family oohing and awwing at him.

My recovery time was spent in my actual room. It was really only an hour and then they let people besides Doug enter. I actually wish I had more time than that but people were excited to see him. It didn't bother me then, but later I was pretty exhausted and was so doped up that I don't feel like I got much out of it. And even though I was done with recovery they still had to come in frequently to check on me and Teddy. The only scary part was when they came in with him after about an hour saying his sugar had dropped and he needed to eat right away. The lactation consultant came too and we eventually had success using a nipple shield and formula through a syringe behind the shield. Mostly it was because he was sleeping and didn't want to wake up! I only had to try the shield one more time and since then he's been a great latcher. And except for that one time, his levels have been fine and he's totally healthy!

I'm so glad that I asked for some healing advice on thebump.com! By 8 pm I was out of my bed and walked across the room and sat in a chair for a little bit. The next day after my IV and catheter were out I walked around for a bit. I asked for some Colace but the nurse forgot, but eventually I got it. I was able to pass gas right away (sorry if that's TMI but it's necessary in the c-section world) and eventually have a BM on Sunday. It wasn't difficult at all. I forgot to take the Colace on Monday and Tuesday and paid for it yesterday and some today. Now it's my new best friend. Aside from the first few hours after I was off IV meds, I've stayed on top of my medicine. On Friday the only reason why I didn't is because I thought the nurses would be better about bringing it to me but they got busy and I went from "Oh, it's a little uncomfortable, but I just had surgery" to "Dear God give me the meds now!" in about 30 minutes. Then it was another 2 hours before I was able to get them as they had to take my vitals, then Teddy's and while I was waiting for the nurse to return my meal came, and then Teddy needed to eat. To anyone who is faced with a c-section when you first get your oral meds ask them how often you can take them and set a timer. You'll be busy thinking about other things! I'd recommend asking for them about 30 minutes ahead of time because it takes time for them to return with them and on the off chance you get it right away you can just set it aside for a few minutes.
I was released on Saturday! I was making great progress and really just wanted to be at home. Doug had to be at work at 7 am on Sunday and 6 am on Monday so my Mom stayed the night with me and Doug slept upstairs. Monday my mom was off until noon and then my sister was able to come over until 3 pm and then I'd be alone until 5 pm when he got off. On Tuesday morning Doug had to be at work at 7 am again and it would be his first night in the room with us at home and I didn't know how much help I could count on. I definitely needed and wanted the help for lifting Teddy, burping, changing etc. And Tuesday began when I spent most of the day alone with Teddy and knew the transition would be rushed and less than ideal so I wanted the extra day. I knew the first night would be awful.

It really was awful. At the hospital Teddy was coughing up amniotic fluid sometimes and almost choking a few times so they recommended that he stay in the nursery the first night so we could rest and not worry. The second night he was still spitting up some (though mostly colostrum) so we did it again (even though I wanted him in the room). During the day he sleeps great. It's actually really hard to wake him up for feedings. At night he hates his swing and Pack and Play and fusses every 15 minutes. I really don't understand. Maybe it's too quiet at night, even though we have a noise maker. So we've caved in and he's sleeping with us just so we can make it to this weekend when Doug has off and if he's sleep deprived it's not quite as awful. Also, then I don't need to ask for help bending. I do it during the day but it's worse at night. Doug hardly notices Teddy crying but me making him get out of bed every 15 minutes really took a toll on him and he can't nap during the day like I can! Now, it's second nature to sleep when Teddy is asleep and we're getting a better handle on when to feed and how to awake him etc. Doug loves coming home to cuddle with our little Teddy bear.

The worst part has been that Father in Law decided to install a toilet for me in our laundry room downstairs next to our bedroom but didn't add an extra vent for it and then took off for hunting this week. So now we can't use the toilet, wash clothes, use the sink downstairs or the upstairs kitchen sink because they're all on the same line and it was just too much for the sytem. He has a master's license in plumbing, you think he would have known. And, we were using the room also as a TV room for DH and we can't now because the toilet had to be put on top of a platform that he had to build for the piping and there's not space. Ugh.

Otherwise it's pretty awesome having a baby! I can't believe it's already been two weeks! He truly is so gorgeous! I've never seen a more beautiful and perfect baby!


Last Bump pic!

First pic!


What a big boy!  8lb6.5oz and 21 inches long!

First cuddle with Mommy


Absolutely perfect

Our little family

No comments:

Post a Comment