Saturday, October 16, 2010

Trip to Labor and Delivery and 35 weeks!

So on my appointment on Monday my OB noted that I have a good deal of swelling and piting in my lower abdomen.  Um, yes, I'm aware.  It comes from the fact that it hangs so low that's where most of the fluid gathers (sort of the same reason feet swell).  By then it had turned red and itchy, he said that was normal and some women even ooze the fluid!  So he suggested a prenatal cradle maternity belt thingy.  It should arrive on Monday or Tuesday.  I meant to ask him about the come and go pain that I have below my rib cage on the right hand side, but forgot.  And I got my flu shot.  My evening blood sugar levels have been looking good (I told you it was just a fluke!) so he said no need for more insulin during the day.  He upped my insulin at night again though.  My numbers for fasting are now steady in the 90s, so here's hoping we'll find the magic number soon!

On Wednesday I was sent to Labor and Delivery.  I had noticed the last few nights when I did my insulin shot that there was just a smidgen of blood and that when I did my finger pricks the blood was coming out a lot faster than normal.  On Wednesday it was even worse.  I ususally have to squeeze the skin around it to help it make a nice bead.  At my "afternoon" check it was really runny.  So I tried another finger and it did the same thing.  Thinking that I had just used those too much I tired my pinky and turned the dial down a notch (so it wouldn't be as deep) and it wouldn't stop bleeding for 5 minutes!  It was after 5 so I called the OB on call (the one that I don't like by the way).  At first she was saying it was just normal and then she asked me if I had a few other symptoms and then she wanted me to come in for some blood testing on Friday (um, why not Thursday?) and then she asked if I was having heartburn and was that a new thing (yes, yes!) so she told me to go to Labor and Delivery.  I had done some research about what that mystery pain below my rib cage could be, possibly HELLP syndrome, but wasn't worried about it since I didn't have any other symptoms.  One of the other symptoms is a low platelet count (which makes your blood clot and would therefore be runny) so I was pretty scared when I called her.  By the time we got to L&D I was feeling a little better.  We were hoping to not have to tell anyone unless it was a big deal but Doug's dad noticed us leaving. 

So we get there and my blood pressure is fine (wasn't worried about that) but they were concerned about my swelling.  Not only in my abdomen (I was just told it was normal!) but also my ankles and legs (all the way up above my knee!)  Then we just had to wait for the lab work, which they didn't take for the first hour and then took an hour to return.  My platelet count was good and so was my liver function (which would have been the mystery pain and part of HELLP syndrome).  So right now, a clean bill of health but I'm supposedto watch the symptoms.  The blood is still coming out a little faster than usual, but it hasn't taken that long to clot so I guess I'm ok.  And I haven't had that pain in awhile.  I think part of it is that Teddy dropped the other day.  So maybe he was just pressing against it (not kicking though). 

Though, all day yesterday he was jabbing his little foot really hard against me!  Like constant pressure but coming from something definitely shaped like a foot.  You could even see it through my shirt.  I can still kind of feel the foot but it's not pressing as hard and you can't see it anymore.  The funniest thing was that with the rash my belly itches from time to time and so I was gently scratching (more like stroking) and it was close to the foot area and he was jumping all over the place!  I guess it was tickling him!  Sooo cute! 

I've got so much done since Thursday!  I dusted and did the floors in the living room and dining room on Thursday.  It took about 6-8 hours (I had a few breaks) since I can't move as fast and it was soooo bad.  Seriously, it was either done about a year ago when my sister in law would have done it, or much more likely 3 years ago, the last time we lived with his dad!  Doug rented a rug doctor so all the rugs and carpets in the house are nice and clean.  Then yesterday I cleaned the kitchen really good.  I didn't really rearrange as I would have liked but that's because I couldn't reach a lot of things.  I did re do the countertop area, we have so much more space now!  I hope I have a chance to pull everything out of the cabinets before Teddy is born, but I'm ok if I don't.  It would be easier without the big belly in the way and then I wouldn't need someone's help. 

So now I just have homework to do.  A lot of homework to do.  I might need another extension.  But I'm not going to beat myself up about it.  The GD thing took a lot more time and effort to get it right then I expected and I've been ordered to monitor my swelling.  When I'm moving it's not so bad, but sitting up right on the computer does it the worst.  And I've tried a million different ways and it's just not comfortable to have it on my lap or next to me in bed.  But it may take less time than I think/I'm ok with getting a B instead of an A.  But all next week really needs to be devoted to it. 

Today we're finally arranging the nursery and I'm washing a bunch of baby clothes.  Fortunately Mom hasn't bought anything in awhile but my goodness she was in a buying frenzy a few months ago!  Soooo many things, mostly clothes.  And tomorrow is my first baby shower!  I just got told yesterday that Doug's family is doing one for me on Sunday, October 31st.  We're so blessed to be loved by so many people.  Except for the money we've put into doing the nursery (most of which went to things like putting in a ceiling, a door and paint) we haven't had to buy much for him.  We bought a crib, but Mom had bought a used one I could have used if I wanted to.  We'll have to get a car seat and probably the monitor.  Then we'll do the cloth diapers but I've just found a bunch of websites that have free patterns so we're going to try to convert a bunch of extra fabric we have (between Mom and I) and see how that goes.  We can essentially start for free (might buy the detergent and special diaper rash ointment).  The only other thing I need to buy for the nursery will be the rest of the ribbon for the border and some curtains for the closet (though that's ok if we don't have right away).  Eventually I'd like a rocker, or to cover the big red chair we'll have in there, a bookcase and a stroller.  We'll have to see how the money situation looks.  Right now I know that he won't remember if his nursery isn't perfect when he arrives, he'll be in our room for a few weeks to months.  And if I have to chose between buying a stroller and being naive enough to think I'll get loads of use out of it during the winter (when I could just wear him in a sling or excercise without him or at home) and the photography session we've got planned I'm definitely picking photography.  The bookcase and other organizers really won't matter until he's more mobile.  Until then it should be pretty easy for me to put away the books we read to him. 

I'll do a break down of how we're saving money on planning for him later.  I'm kind of proud of the creativity we have and of course want to pass it on to others!

Ok, banana bread is done, time to start on pumpkin spice cookies and then chocolate chip.  Favors for my many shower hostesses!
Me on Monday at 34w4d

Nursery pics coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment