Friday, October 29, 2010

Full Term!

So I turned 37 weeks, or full term, yesterday.  I was undecided at first but now I am trying my best to get him to come out!  They're only a bunch of old wives tales, nothing remotely guaranteed and since I haven't had an internal exam I have no idea if all the cramping and pressure I've been feeling is doing anything.  But anyway, I figure it won't hurt to try and since he's full term everything should be fine.  Better to try to help him along in the next week than have a c-section.  If it weren't for the "threat" of c-section if I go longer than 38-38.5 weeks.  Otherwise, while feeling uncomfortable, I wouldn't be so desperate to try to get him out.

Another blah appointment yesterday.  He was moving tons but again they had a hard time getting his heartbeat.  My blood pressure was high again.  It was 148/100.  And this time it was a very experienced nurse doing it and she was looking at the gage too so I don't really agree with what Dr. Aamodt said last week.  So they had me lay down and it went down to 132/92 and then later 128/89.  I wasn't even worried about it when I walked in, or even afterwards.  I've basically come to terms with the fact that they are clueless about what they're doing with me and I need to be my own advocate and so if I feel like something is off I'm going to labor and delivery.  I was given a prescription pain med for my migraine, which I've still had.  Most of the time it's more in the background and I can get a few things done a day but if I do too much it flares up.  It also seems to be related to hunger.  My BSL numbers were getting crazy and I'd try snacking on "free" things or protein and I'd still be hungry.  So I knew that I'd be put on insulin during the day.  They upped my overnight insulin number again and now I'm taking insulin before dinner.  It seemed to work pretty well last night.  I felt full a little longer and my number wasn't too high and my fasting number this morning was lower.  I didn't try eating on the higher end of my carb limit just because I was eating leftovers but I'll try it tonight.  I've been told that it will give me more flexibility, which is nice. 

Doug was with me this time so he got to witness all the things I've been griping about.  Like when they had me go to my left side to try to get my BP even lower, they couldn't find the heartbeat then.  They could feel and see him moving but after 10 minutes 2 different nurses couldn't get a heartbeat.  The more experienced one said she'd check with the doctor but most likely I'd have to get in for an ultrasound because it's not good that they wouldn't be able to find it- even with all my swelling.  I joked that he was full term today so just go ahead and induce me.  It wasn't that much of a joke though.  I'm just exhausted from all of this crap.  5 minutes later she comes in and the doctor (Dr. Visger who I don't like or trust) said that because he was so responsive before it should be fine.  But he wasn't very responsive before.  Yes, he had loads of movement but his heartrate barely went up, I've been told they're looking for pretty high spikes. 

Also I had Dr. Visger look at those lumps on my belly that have migrated about 4 inches south, 2 inches per each dropping.  He dropped again the other night.  Now not only do I feel like he's just going to fall out between my knees but my belly is almost there!  She said she thinks it's just "localized swelling."  Below my belly button is really swollen due to all the extra fluid hanging out there.  Since when I'm laying down and in the morning it's not as noticeable, hard or painful that's the best she could come up with.  I just wanted to make sure it wasn't like his cord wrapped around a foot or something.  She said definitely not, so I guess that's that.  She did mention that "We've all been talking about your belly."  What's that supposed to mean?  Doug took it to mean that I'm some oddity they've never seen before and will be published in an article or something.  Everyone who sees it is shocked.  Every nurse and tech, every doctor.  I feel like some awful science experiment gone wrong. 

I forgot to bring up the pre-eclampsia thing.  It's just this is my rationale:  it's usually diagnosed after 37 weeks.  Meaning just by turning 37 weeks my risk factor goes up to be diagnosed with it.  They already said due to it being my first pregnancy and the GD I was higher risk for it.  Ok, well is there anyway I could have it and not have the protein in my urine?  Is there anyway the lab could be wrong?  As in what's the precentage of error?  I guess in the long run it doesn't mean much.  My BP isn't horribly high and I'm not having seizures and the only "cure" is to deliver the baby, which they would have wanted to wait and do after 37 weeks anyway.  But some studies shows bed rest helps. Which I can rest a lot during the day but there are times when I do run around and do a lot.  I don't want to be hurting him!  My grandmother and aunt are freaking out because when my grandmother was pregnant she had preeclampsia (called toxemia then) and had all the same symptoms as me.  She delivered at like 28 weeks and some how in the 1960s the baby made it.  But again, it's not the 1960s.  But I just feel like the doctors aren't really talking to me about what's going on or trying to reassure me.  It's almost as if I'm a hassle.  Well, I know taking forever to find his heartbeat slows things down for the office, but it's not like I can do anything about it.  Other than obvious medical concerns such as horrible swelling, a migraine for 2 weeks and high BP, I am not bothering them about every little thing.  And even then I try to be relaxed and take what they say.  But I'm trying to be firm about it too.  I think next time we may try to get my mom to come because she'll bring up things I forget and hopefully won't be sidetracked by all the NST issues like Doug was.  Basically, I won't be using them next time.  I'll try Harrisonburg OB/GYN but if I develop GD again I may see if there is a high risk OB in town that specializes in that sort of thing.  I suppose for the average noncomplicated pregnancy it's not so bad, but I wouldn't recommend this office for complicated pregnancies.

So I've finished my pineapple and I think I'll try to take a walk.  I'm getting so much pressure when I stand and walk around, but it gets better when I sit or rest so it's not real labor.  Then Doug is supposed to take me to El Charro, where hopefully I can stomach something spicy.  He brought home Buffalo Wings last night, but I hate Buffalo sauce!  It's just so sour and vinegary.  I have a shower with his family on Sunday, which should be nice.  Way smaller than the church one, but still nice.  And later tonight, if I still have energy I plan on making and freezing some pasta and Chili- then my freezer stash for after pregnancy will be pretty much done.  There's more I could make but his Dad still hasn't brought over the extra freezer from storage so I have limited space.  And I know others will bring us food and once the GD veil is lifted I'll be jonesing for some high sugar and carb things anyway.  So far I have:  chicken pot pie, Chicken and mixed veggie chowder (way better than chicken soup!), 2 freezer skillet meals and 2 frozen pizzas.  The first two should be enough to feed us for 2 nights.  Lunches should just be simple sandwiches or leftovers.  Then I'll add in the Chili (2 dinners) and the pasta (4 dinners) and that's 14 meals.  I'm going to try to make some goodies to freeze too, like cookies and cinnamon rolls, pancakes.  But I think I'll be hitting the cereal bowl pretty hard!  I've only had cereal once since the GD diagnosis and that was for dinner.  A bowl of Cheerios, 1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 slice banana was 45g of carbs.  I can't wait to eat things like lucky charms, or bagels, or muffins, or Ihop's Stuffed French Toast with hashbrowns for breakfast!  Or really anytime.  Breakfast is my favorite meal, even though I rarely eat a big breakfast (or before GD breakfast at all) in the morning.  Seriously, even a fruit and yogurt parfait which is deliciously healthy is super high in carbs and I can't have.

Ok, now I feel like I have to go on that walk.  Just thinking about all that sugar makes me feel guilty!

No comments:

Post a Comment