Sunday, September 26, 2010

GD update

So I finally get to meet with a nutritionist tomorrow.  Hopefully he/she can give me some more ideas of what to eat.  I've been trying not to have to go to the grocery store until then.  So far I've had some whole wheat pasta, potatos and even white pasta (with the right serving sizes) and have done well.  Even thin crust pizza not so much, though.  And last night we went to Burger King.  I had a burger without a bun and then onion rings and Mom pursuaded me to have a cookie.  I was well with in my allowed carbs, but my BSL was pretty high afterwards!  I'm betting it was more to do with the cookie than the onion rings.  That makes me sad.  I have had Nutty Bars as a snack, because it has peanut butter and good protein to balance out the carbs.  I asked the OB at my last appointment and she said if my levels were fine with it then to go for it.  Hopefully the nutritionist will agree.  It's just nice to have some semi-sweet option out there, and chocolate!

My fasting numbers are still bad.  It's nothing I'm doing wrong, though.  I've been on insulin since night and for the first few mornings they were worse than before.  Previously they were around 108 on average, but then spiked up to 118.  I called on Thursday and they said to give it until Monday before coming in to get the levels changed.  But I have an appointment on Wednesday, so I'm just going to wait.  Also, I did some asking online on thebump.com and a few people suggested it may be "the dawn effect."  Meaning that overnight as our bodies produce growth hormones, mine reacts differently and sends out an increase in insulin.  The way to check is to look at your numbers overnight, typically after the hours of 3am-8am.  Though, I'm usually up until 2 am.  I checked at 2:25 am on Thursday and it was 91.  That was about 3 hours after my "bedtime" snack, and testing for after meals is supposed to be 2 hours.  Meaning, I had already gotten the sugar kick from what I ate as a snack.  The next day when I woke up it was 108.  So, it clearly went up for no reason, and after taking my insuln dosage.  Another check on the Dawn Effect is to eat no carbs as a snack before bed.  I did that on Friday.  Well, I had a few carbs.  I had some roast beef, cheese and a spoonful of peanut butter (so maybe 3g instead of 15).  Next morning my number was 108.  I forgot to check my BSL overnight last night though.  But I think that may be the answer.  They'll probably still want to up my insulin though.

As far as the insulin goes, it's not bad.  It doesn't hurt and I remind myself that I was lucky to not need to take injection hormones in order to ovulate to get pregnant.  There are many women out there who have to do shots like that and are bruised from it.  I just can't do it around Doug, he freaks out around needles!  The finger pricks aren't bad either.  The glucometer that I have hurts a lot less than the standard finger prick at a doctors office.  Doug jokes that I could have been a druggie, with how I'm ok sticking myself with needles.  Knowing my family history, he's probably right!

So my next appointment is on Wednesday and we'll have a growth ultrasound then too.  Doug has to work and Mom is seeing if she can slip over really fast (she works across the street).  I guess I'm ok going alone, but it won't be a "fun" ultrasound like the other ones.  This one will come with a discussion about how big he is, what's up with the amniotic fluid and what it means for delivery and the rest of pregnancy.  I'm hoping they won't push a c-section.  I've done some research and even with high fluid and a large baby most things I've read suggest only doing a c-section if when the water breaks the cord prolapses (gets in the way of the baby exiting) or if after labor and pushing he's just too big to get out.  But I'm not a doctor and I do trust them.  I didn't got he midwife route and was interested in home birthing because I'm anti-doctor.  So, if he thinks it's medically necessary and not just that it will be easier and simpler, then I suppose I'll go with it.  Though, there's still several weeks to go, and things could change.  A lot of times fluid goes down as you get closer to delivery.

So, what's up with Teddy?  Supposedly he has standard waking and sleeping cycles.  I'm not sure I've noticed that!  He has a lot more energy, meaning more powerful kicks.  Though soon he'll run out of space and it will mostly just be wiggling (which I already feel a lot).  He's almost 4 pounds and will gain around 1/2 a week.  He's also almost 17 inches long. Well, these are the averages.  We'll know more after Wednesday.  Personality wise though, he's such a cutie!  He gets excited when we watch sports.  He doesn't like it when I stand or sit for too long.  He goes pretty crazy during preaching at church too.  He's so quiet in the hours before and after, I really think he's saving up his energy then.  I'm having a lot more shortness of breath (he's all up in my lungs!) making climbing the stairs and singing difficult.  And back pain from my chunky monkey.  Even though I haven't really gained any weight since August, my belly has exploded.  I'm not really sure where the weight is coming from since I don't seem thinner anywhere else!  I"ll ask the OB about it, but I think that's ok from talking with other people. 

Ok, enough for now.  My ankles swell if I sit for more than 30 minutes, and I'm going to catch a little nap before church.  Or maybe clean.  All I ever want to do now is sleep!  Having this stupid virus doesn't help.  And I woke up late so I'll be in a crunch to get a second meal in and test before church.  Ugh, I hate that it's so difficult to plan my life around eating.  Or plan my eating around life.  Either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment