Thursday, December 16, 2010

Nicknames

Our baby's name is Theodore Robert Bowman.  We call him Teddy.  We are the parents.  The parents are the ones to pick the name.  As in, if you want to call him something else you're out of luck.  Go have your own baby.  I'm not sure how people don't understand this.  We've got family calling him Little Dougie, Theo and Teddy Bob.  Um, no.  If when he is older he wants to go by something else then we will have to deal with that, but for now he is Teddy.  Maybe I don't like what you named your kids, it doesn't mean I'm allowed to call them something else.  If you hate his name that much, then come up with a little nickname for him.  I also call him Teddy Bear, Chunky Monkey, Chunk a Monk, Wiggle Worm, Happy Baby, Beautiful Boy, Sweetie Pie, Sweet Cheeks, Lovey Boy, Angel, Honey, Sweetie, Darling, Child, Son, Boy, Child of Mine, Sonny....and probably dozens of others I don't remember right now.  If you hate Teddy, then call him Squirt or something and that can be your little thing.  But you can't decide to call him Little Dougie as if we named him Douglas III and you can't call him Theo instead of Teddy.  And you definitely can't call him Teddy Bob.  Seriously, we don't want to confuse him!

5 comments:

  1. First and foremost...I do TOTALLY understand where you are coming from.

    But it will not confuse him and people will always come up with names for him. It is sadly something you will never be able to stop. Heck Tommi was called "shanana" for the first couple months of her life b/c that is what we hade everyone call her while she is in utero haha. Tommi does have the initals 'TJ' but when people call her Little TJ I more think of it as she is his mini me. Even if her name was totally different she is a little TJ.

    Just my 2 cents :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I meant it might confuse him if he hears names similar to his. I once read that Judy Garland didn't know her real name until she started school because everyone called her Baby. (By the way her real name was Frances Gumm). But I'm still telling people that's the reason why we want them calling him one name, even if it's not really a possibility. Hopefully they'll never know the difference. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That might just be a weird story b/c if that were the case you shouldn't call him by any nicknames...even all the ones you listed. Good luck with people listening haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theo I could understand...but Little Dougie and Teddy Bob?! Awful! But you're right, he's TEDDY so call him that...if you don't want to call him Theodore that is! :) I call Caden Chunky Monkey too sometimes...but my favorite one is Squirmy Wormy because he's ALWAYS been a huge mover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stand strong, girl! Teddy's WAY better than..."little Douggie." hahaha Just be up front with your family, tell them how you feel, and then just be persistant. They'll get the picture! :)

    ReplyDelete