Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Finally!!

Finally, after over 5 years of trying, we are pregnant! Got the wonderful news on Friday, March 12th! I'm only 4 weeks, so my estimated due date is November 18, 2010. My hope with this blog is that it will be a way for all of our far off family and friends to be able to keep in touch and up to date with the events of Baby Bowman.

My first prenatal appointment is next Tuesday. I'm feeling really great so far. This weekend I was exhausted, but feeling a good bit better today. If that's all I end up feeling during the first trimester then I won't complain!

So on facebook there was quite the discussion about proposed baby names. I do need help. Doug says he doesn't have much of an opinion and then suddenly will, so I haven't shared below the top three with him really- because what are the chances of needing more than 3 girl names when we weren't even pregnant?! But here's where I"m at right now.

Boys:
Theodore Robert "Teddy"
William Thomas "Will"
Benjamin Peter "Ben"

All the boys are named after family names (with the exception of Theodore, we just love that name!) and a few historical figures that Doug likes. In the end Benjamin Peter won out over Alexander Patton (after Alexander the Great and General George Patton). I'm not complaining about that!

Girls:
Shenandoah Grace
Annabelle Hope "Annie" or "Belle"
Rebekah Faith "Becky"

The following in no particular order:
Marian Joy "Marian"
Abigail Susannah "Abbie"
Allyson Caitlyn "Ally"
Madelyn Virginia "Maddie"
Julia Corinne "Julia"
Lillian Rose "Lillie"
Evelyn Katherine "Evie"
Samantha Rachel "Samantha"
Charlotte Emily "Charlotte"
Chloe Renee "Chloe"
Gwenevere Laura "Gwen"
Margaret Lynn "Maggie"
Josephine Elizabeth "JoBeth"

Here's my biggest problem. We both really like Shenandoah in the name for the first girl. Doug has come to love it as a first name and wants to call her that. I would rather her go by Grace/Gracie but do not think Grace Shenandoah flows as well. And now my grandmother is very sick and I was thinking of promoting the name Marian and making it Mariann to include honor to Doug's mother, Patricia Ann. But then I have problems with Annabelle right after having a Mariann. Also, I'm sort of sacrificing the name Grace to use Shenandoah and so then Grace would be above Annabelle. So maybe I shouldn't even worry about having two "ann" names. But what middle name goes well with Grace then? And also, I'm just so in love with those top three choices I couldn't imagine kicking one of them out.

Maybe we'll be pregnant with triplets! Lol! Not that I'd actually want that just for the sake of names.

Opinions please...

4 comments:

  1. Once again, thanks so much for putting up a blog and keeping the world updated... I for one am interested! Love your names, by the way, I know that doesn't help you pick one, though :D.

    God bless your pregnancy, I hope every moment is a good one!

    - Sis. Tracy Borland

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a difficult choice giving a name. We had a different name for Aaron (which we now can't remember) but he now is who he is. I just wonder why you're looking at names to already give them a nickname. Why do they have to have a nickname? If you're focusing the nickname then consider giving them that name since that's what they'll be used to.
    Have you thought about Daniel? Isn't he the Propst in the family whose service allowed your entrance into the civil war unit ( or whatever it's called).
    But don't fret so much about names as having a healthy youngin The name will come in time. But do give thought to how they'll be treated by other kids because of a name. Kids are cruel and Shenandoah may be an invitation to harassment no matter how much you love it or it's beautiful meaning.
    Thats my dollars worth. Take care.
    Hugs. Aunt beth/cricket

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input Beth. We've always been crazy about the name Shenandoah, just didn't seem as appropriate when we lived there. And I agree the name can be cumbersome, that's why I thought we'd call her by her middle name, or just use it as a middle name. Doug is the one not on that page. We plan to homeschool though, so I don't think teasing will really be an issue. My name is also unusual and I ended up with quite a few nicknames and people stil have difficult saying it, but I LOVE my name.

    As for nicknames, we just like them. Makes things easier. It's a lot easier to say something that's only a few letters. Some of the names I like, I don't think we'd ever use because we don't like the nicknames. I don't like Charlie or Lottie for Charlotte or Sam for Samantha, Izzy for Isabelle. If you're worried about kids being cruel with names then considering nicknames should be a given too.

    And as for Daniel, we already know quite a few. The boy names is actually the ones we agreed on years ago and have never changed. They're so much easier than girl names for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FYI. Lottie was our grandmother Bowmans name and it wasn't short for anything. She was my Daddy Bills mom. She was Littie Susan Goodman Toodle Thomas Bowman. I think somewhere in there is a nickname but I know she was a Thomas. Not sure about toodle or goodman. Katie would know. Have fun in whhatever you decide. You've got a while to decide.
    Enjoy your nice weather. Before you know it you'll have all daylight again.
    AB/Cricket

    ReplyDelete